MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Sheriff: Mother charged after 2-year-old son overdoses on marijuana-infused candy

File photo: an employee at a local pot shop displays a limeade-flavored cannabis-infused gummy candy (AP Photos/Gillian Flaccus)

LA PINE, Ore. – A mother is facing child neglect and endangering a minor charges after police say her 2-year-old son ate a marijuana-infused candy and was hospitalized Wednesday with “life-threatening overdose symptoms,” the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office said.

Deputies and paramedics were called out about 5:15 p.m. Wednesday for a medical call at a home in the 14000 block of White Pine Way.

Katelynn Joy, 27, told first responders that her son had eaten a THC-infused edible candy that was on the table. Authorities said the toddler was in distress and paramedics transported the child to St. Charles Medical Center.

According to authorities, the mother found the half-eaten candy and waited several hours to report that her son ate it until the boy’s symptoms worsened.

The toddler had “life-threatening overdose symptoms,” the sheriff’s office said.

The candy was homemade and investigators weren’t sure how much TCH they contained.

Joy was cited with endangering the welfare of a minor and child neglect II. She was not taken into custody.

Auhtorities say this is a good reminder for parents to keep any marijuana products out of reach of children.

More from the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office:

THC stands for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, and is the mind-altering ingredient in marijuana that gives the user the intoxication “high”. Often the THC doses are made for adults and can be dangerous for children and animals.

Some signs of a marijuana overdose or excessive consumption may include:

  • Rapid heart rate, increasing the risk of heart attack.
  • Hallucinations.
  • Vomiting.
  • Mental confusion.
  • Panic attacks.
  • Extreme paranoia.

While we do not encourage drug use, the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office reminds our citizens to protect themselves, children and animals from THC exposure and overdose. Please prevent access to marijuana and THC products from children and do not leave children unattended with these items.

If you suspect a child or animal has consumed marijuana or THC infused products, call 911 or your veterinarian immediately. The Poison Control Center is also available 24/7 at 800-222-1222 and the ASPCA Animal Poision Control is available at 888-426-4435.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending