Police identify man at center of active shooting investigation, what we know right now:



The active shooter that shot at police officers near the state capitol tonight has been identified as 51-year-old Ahmed Aminamin El-Mofty.

Dauphin County District Attorney Ed Marsico confirmed that a state trooper was hit by a bullet while exchanging gunfire with El-Mofty at 5th and Market streets. She is not seriously injured and is expected to make a full recovery.

Police then engaged in gunfire with El-Mofty in the Allison Hill neighborhood of Harrisburg, where he was killed.

Marsico says, El-Mofty has spent time in both Dauphin and Cumberland counties and recently was in the Middle East. DA Marsico did not speculate on any possible ties to terrorism, stating "We don't want people to run wild with speculation."

"We are asking the public if they have any information about Mr. El-Mofty to please call 911 and let us know, anyone that has any information about him," Marsico said.


According to police the suspect fired shots at a Capitol police officers car around 4:30 PM Friday at 3rd and Walnut Streets. He then fired several shots at a Pennsylvania State Police Trooper at 5th and Strawberry Streets, slightly wounding her, according to police.

Police chased the subject to the 1700 block of Mulberry Street, exchanging fire with the suspect who was armed with two handguns at the time.

The suspect was shot and pronounced dead at the scene.

A "device" was scene near El-Mofty's body, prompting officials to call in the Harrisburg Bomb Squad. The situation was handled and law enforcement is now focusing their investigating into the man's history.

Anyone who knew El-Mofty or has information on him is asked to call police or 9-1-1.


Harrisburg Mayor Eric Papenfuse commended police for their "exceptional bravery" in their handling of Friday's shooting, saying “The incident is still being investigated, but it’s clear that Harrisburg police responded with exceptional bravery and capability to protect our city,” the Mayor said Friday evening. “The police officers involved as well as their leadership are to be commended. The situation could have been far worse, and we could have suffered far more injuries had they not acted as courageously and as professionally as they did.”

Governor Wolf added "I am grateful for the swift reaction to this incident by Capitol Police, Pennsylvania State Police and City of Harrisburg Police. Our officers were directly in harm's way but they did not hesitate and protected others from harm. This is another reminder of the sacrifice made everyday by law enforcement across Pennsylvania, especially for those of us who spend time in our State Capitol. On behalf of all Pennsylvanians, Frances and I thank the fine men and women of these departments."

Congressman Lou Barletta also weighed in on the incident: “The heroic actions of Pennsylvania’s law enforcement averted a sure tragedy. I am very proud the swift and effective response from those on the ground who neutralized the suspect before any lives were taken. This demonstrates the immense bravery of Pennsylvania law enforcement. They protect our schools and neighborhoods, keeping all our families safe, while risking their own lives every day. In the face of violence and destruction, we must always back the blue. As a member of the Committee on Homeland Security, I will continue to monitor the situation for potential links to terrorism. Mary Grace and I will continue to pray for the speedy recovery of the officer who was injured, and for the continued safety for Pennsylvania’s law enforcement.”


One man is dead after shots were fired near the Pa. state capitol building Friday night.

According to police the suspect fired shots at a Capitol police officers car around 4:30 PM.

Police chased the subject to the 1700 block of Mulberry st. exchanging fire with the suspect. The suspect was shot and pronounced dead at the scene.

When police approached the body of the suspect a "device" was found. The bomb squad was called to the scene to dispose of the "device".

Harrisburg police were on the scene and held a press conference with updates on the incident.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off