New info released in Millersville house explosion


"The first thing that most of us think is, could that happen in my home," said Duane Hagelgans, Professor of Emergency Management.

Almost a year ago, a devastating scene on Springdale Lane in Millersville after a home leveled after an explosion.

"I was at work, got a text from my boyfriend saying that the house exploded, I was taken back, I couldn't even fathom what was going on," said Jasmine Rothweiler, Neighbor

The NTSB releasing a piece of that cause today. Incorrect installation of a mechanical tapping tee. Duane Hagelgans with Millersville University was on scene that day and also a party with the investigation.

"What was interesting is their findings were basically that there was something issue with the the instructions, so not necessarily with the part itself, but how the part is putting together," said Hagelgans.

According to the NTSB the tapping tee assembly was leaking gas at the the connection of the tee assembly to the main in the front the destroyed home. But what sparked the explosion still under investigation.

"Unfortunately nobody can really attest a hundred percent what was happening at that moment in time, so those are the things that are going to be put together," said Hagelgans.

UGI installed the part back in 1998 and was in service for 19 years before the explosion.

"Making sure that when they are installed, no matter where they are installed that there is a system that is very good, and everybody knows that system, you must do this," said Hagelgans.

UGI sent us this statement: "The plastic mechanical tapping devices referenced by the NTSB in their recommendations were procured by the UGI Utilities Inc. between 1997 and 2006. Fewer than 19,000 of the NTSB referenced devices were installed on the UGI systems. Approximately 5,000 of the NTSB referenced devices have been replaced or remediated."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off