Most Shared

Weather Alert

FREEZE WARNING

A FREEZE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR TOMORROW MORNING BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 8AM.  THOSE WITH AGRICULTURAL OR GARDENING INTERESTS ARE ADVISED TO PROTECT SENSITIVE VEGETATION. 


 

WEATHER ALERT

Weather Alert Radar

CBS 21 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

UGI urges customers to be Winter-Wise during cold temperatures

Tuesday morning, Central PA can expect temperatures in the single digits with wind chills up to -20. UGI is encouraging customers to stay safe and warm.

To keep you and you family safe, check out these tips!

    Make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors and the batteries powering them are fresh.

    Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can result from a malfunctioning heating unit or another fuel-burning appliance, as well as from a blocked chimney. CO is a colorless, odorless, gas. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Signs that an appliance may be producing CO include condensation on walls and windows, house pets becoming sluggish, plants dying and residents in the home suffering flu-like symptoms or feeling unusually tired. Individuals who believe they may be experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning should immediately seek fresh air and prompt medical attention.

    Never use a generator, grill, stove or other fossil fuel burning device inside a home, garage of other enclosed area. Never heat a home with an oven if your electricity goes out.

    Use extra caution when using space heaters. Place a space heater on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable (such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs) at least three feet away from the unit.

    If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.

    Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed. Using secondary heating sources, such as space heaters, can increase the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning

    In extreme cold weather, your heating unit may have difficulty maintaining the temperature set on your thermostat based on the system capacity and other factors. However, if your equipment is not functioning properly, you may need to contact your heating contractor.

    On days when snow or ice fall, clear any accumulation from the outside vents of your furnace or other natural gas appliances.  This allows air the flow necessary for safe operation. Blocked vents can lead to a dangerous build-up of carbon monoxide. 

    If the snow is deep, you should clear the area around the gas meter, providing a path for UGI personnel who may require access.  Please work carefully around your gas meter.  Keep snow blowers and plows away from the gas meter.

    Remember that an electric power outage will affect blowers and newer heaters with electronic ignitions.  If your gas heater does not relight when the power returns, turn the unit off for a moment, then back on.  If it still does not light, call a heating professional for service.

    Be aware that UGI adds an odorant, which smells like rotten eggs, to natural gas to help you detect a gas leak.  The odorant is added in small concentrations and is harmless.  If you smell an odor of rotten eggs, leave the building immediately, taking everyone with you. Do not use the phone, light a match, or switch anything on or off.  Leave the door open, and once clear of the area call UGI from your cell phone or neighbors home. UGIs emergency response number is 1-800-276-2722.  UGI will send a service technician to investigate the odor immediately.  UGI emergency responders are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year.  Your safety is always our top priority.

    For your personal safety, stay indoors as much as possible. When outdoors, wear warm clothing and cover exposed skin. Use multiple layers to maintain warmth. Seniors should take extra care outdoors to avoid slips and falls from icy conditions

CLICK here for more information: www.ugi.com.
 
Advertise with us!

Check It Out

Washington Times