- One-of-a-kind: Hunton signs players, saves games
- Retirement plan: Panko opens basketball facility
- Strongest football player retires, picks up next challenge
- Astros sign Cedar Crest grad Derek Fisher
- NPSL: 'no comment' on coach's racist accusation
- Late Andrews goal earns City Islanders 1-1 draw
- Softball game's mission is personal for Lansanah
- Peeples choice: Longest tenured Barnstormer
- Coach, 15, assists Assault football team
- Jenkins' sponsor: no products with DMAA
- Steroids contributed to the death of Jenkins
- Fisher picked by Astros: 'Best experience of my life'
- Palmyra man grabbing life by horns at The Great Bull Run
- With Learner's Permit, Campbell wins sprint car races
- One last kick for City Islanders, remarkable teen
- Pittman rules Williams Grove, winning Outlaws features
- Brotherly love, times 9, powers Trinity lacrosse
- Infielder Stuckey has out-of-this-world connection
- Heart, not height, defines shortest pitcher
- A local basketball star shares his views on the Donald Sterling punishment
- Second chance: Bender back in football with Capitals
- Stampede fan measures the loudest
- Lerew eyes MLB return with Revolution
- Alyssa Thomas drafted 4th, traded to Sun
- LHP Jackson reinvents himself, MLB dream still alive
- With Sigler, Cutter Dykstra's normal life is far from normal
- Floyd pleased to finally own Senators bobblehead
- 'Made in Harrisburg' label fits Bowles perfectly
- McCoy says Jackson decision
- Stampede in awe of new home, GIANT Center
- Source: No City money used for City Islanders' new stadium
- Marsteller, Haines cap off careers with state gold
- Searching for Stupar: Was Super Bowl jersey thrown away?
- McDevitt, Manheim Central beat buzzers at D3 tourney
- WCU swimmer Fischer sets national record
- Louder than words: Hawthorne quietly leads Steel-High
- Gov. Corbett honors Marques Colston for community work
- Gerhart to start 40th after failing tech inspection at Daytona
- Outlaws run by Allen, Schuchart fueled by family
- Wheelchair hoops signee 'exactly the same as everyone else'
- NFL awards Thursday contract to CBS
- Bears' Strachan on mission to help stray dogs
- Power is on: Heat chiropractor makes adjustments
- Senators, Nationals extend affiliation through 2018
- Living with epilepsy, HS player sets scoring record
- Franklin introduced at Penn State
- O'Brien lands in Houston, Robinson leaves for NFL
- Central Penn, coach offer fresh start for star player
- Report: O'Brien, Texans working on deal
- Artwork saves Metro the painting race horse
- Bishop McDevitt falls to Archbishop Wood in state final
- Valentine's Day: MLB All-Star emotional after return of missing jerseys
- Girl, 6, is amazing motorcycle champ
- Gettysburg Address hockey jersey a hit at 150th anniversary
- Signing Day: Local student-athletes choose colleges
- Purdue's Webster seeks tickets, win over Penn State
- Penn State seeks 4th straight wrestling title
- Cumberland Valley wins 5-set thriller, makes PIAA final
- Stampede announces Nowotarski's return
- Hunter scores 3 TDs in Piranha's RAFL title game win
- Hotchkin speaks publicly for first time since shooting
- No more Mr. Nice Guy: Jenkins relishes new role as ROH champ
- PA Sports Hall adds Joe Frazier, swimmer Linn in Harrisburg ceremony
- Stampede moves to GIANT Center, re-signs star players
- Rebuilding football, building a football family
- Marshmallows key ingredient in great soccer rivalry
- Big lift: Strongman helps young mother with cancer
- 'Mr. Dickinson,' 101, still cheers football team, impacts alums
- Wrestling cares: "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan joins local wrestling benefit for Stouffers
- 14-year-old HS star is part mystery, part legend-in-making
- Former WWE stars set for show at Sports City in Harrisburg
- 'Coach Lo' knows: Woman helps call shots in semipro football
- Cannon involved in violent crash at Selinsgrove
- Senators finish off Erie, headed to E.L. Championship Series
- Kicking for cure: Fisher booting FGs for Angelman Syndrome Foundation
- Senators win Game 1; Jeroloman shaken up after collision
- Christine Jr., Horan wins features at SSP
- Fred Rahmer wins again in final season
- Jets cut Lansanah
- Hackenberg, Penn State beat Syracuse 23-17
- McDevitt opens new stadium with win over Harrisburg
- Battle of 'Burg ending; Harrisburg, McDevitt going separate ways
- Jenkins finishes fourth at World's Strongest Man
- Cedar Cliff QB Ford hurt during scrimmage
- Source: Seahawks' Hill out 3-6 weeks with biceps injury
- ChumpCar champs: locals drive junker to Daytona win
- Kings of comfort: Revolution pitchers find relief from bullpen bench
- Former City Islander Hotchkin shot in attemped homicide
- Basketball player Washington back in jail on weapon, assault charge
- Controlling yourself not easy in video game, says Isles' Hernandez
- Chambersburg's Warner benefits from Alaskan adventure
- Dog owners bond over retriever competition in Cumberland County
- Harrisburg beats Tampa, wins RBI World Series
- Ferguson 'a little ahead' early in Penn State QB job race
- Strongman Jenkins eager for Worlds, not long trip to China
- Family, fans remember Kramer Williamson
- Fast friends: Sprint car drivers bond after simple apology
- Man on a mission: ex-MLB C Sheaffer brings clean water to needy
- Local sprint car legend Williamson dies following crash
- 2013 State Games Opening Ceremony
- Life's curveball: first MLB prospect from Belarus now pitching in Enola
- Tony Stewart not racing Grove
Gettysburg Address hockey jersey a hit at 150th anniversary
Updated: Thursday, November 21 2013, 11:21 PM CST
Posted by: Jason Bristol
GETTYSBURG -- A special edition minor league hockey jersey commemorating the Gettysburg Address was a big hit in Gettysburg on the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's famous speech.
Bjorn Skaptason, a history buff from Chicago, bought the jersey from the Bakersfield Condors of the East Coast Hockey League, which wore similar sweaters during a game on November 10.
"I knew that I wanted to bring it here," said Skaptason, who works at the Abraham Lincoln Book Shop in Chicago, of the commemoration.
The team will never forget Skaptason's phone call, either.
"His caller ID came up Abraham Lincoln," said Condors team president Matthew Riley in an earlier interview with KBAK-TV.
"That's a call you take."
Skaptason promised the team he'd take pictures of himself wearing the jersey while in Gettysburg, including the spot where Lincoln delivered his address and a monument dedicated to California soldiers.
The cream-colored jerseys feature an image of America's 16th president -- along with a Condor logo wearing a black hat. The back of the jersey includes the actual text of the Gettysburg Address, along with a rendering of the battle between Union and Confederate soldiers.
"Certainly this one of the (more) unique pieces (of Lincoln memorabilia)," said Daniel Weinberg, owner of the Abraham Lincoln Book Shop, who traveled with Skaptason to Gettysburg.
A man dressed as Abraham Lincoln even admired it. "I'm fond of it," said the man. "I endorse it."
Both Skaptason and Weinberg believe the late President Lincoln would have enjoyed a good chuckle over the jersey.
"I think he would have been enormously amused; that most American cannot go a day without seeing his image," said Skaptason.