Owner of dog that attacked 2 children in Lancaster charged

Photo Courtesy of the Family

The owner of a dog that attacked two children in Lancaster in June is now facing charges, according to the Lancaster Police Department.

Luis Omar Colon-Colon, 42, has been charged with the following:

  • Attacks Causing Severe Injury (M1)
  • (3) Counts Recklessly Endangering Another Person (M2)
  • Dogs at Large- Duty to Control
  • Duty to Have Dogs Licensed
  • Dog Law- Failure to Have Dogs Vaccinated

SEE ALSO | 5-year-old boy released from hospital one week after devastating dog attack

Lancaster police say that a loose dog attacked two children on June 20.

The children, ages 2 and 5, were taken by their mother to Lancaster General Hospital with serious injuries and later transported to Hershey Medical Center for more treatment, according to police.

Police children have since been released from the hospital.

One witness said that the 60 pound dog was mauling one of the children and says they had to pull the dog off twice. She says her and another man trying to help were covered in blood by the time they got the dog off the children and away from them.

The children were in their minivan, in their car seats, when the dog got inside the vehicle and attacked them, according to police. The children's mother was able to pull the dog from the van, with the assistance of several people, according to police.

Another witness said, "the dog's just going at the kid non-stop so we're sitting there pulling it back, punching it, trying to get it off. Got it off the first time, held it for what felt like forever but it was 5 seconds. It was raining so it slipped off so it got back on the kid before it could even get off and we got it off again."

SEE ALSO | Dangerous Dogs | What are the laws? How are they regulated?

Police say that the dog, a 66 pound five-year-old Pit Bull terrier, was secured by its owner when they arrived in the 700 block of Lafayette Street. Police say that the dog had been in a fenced-in backyard but broke through the fence.

After a quarantine period, the dog was euthanized.

Colon-Colon was arraigned on July 17 and bail was set at $5,000.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off