MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Hoverboard owners are speaking out after fatal Harrisburg fire caused by device

hoverboard.jpg

After a hoverboard sparked a fire in Harrisburg Friday night that killed two children, concerns about hoverboards are circulating.

We spoke with a local family who owns one about their experience.

Thirteen year-old Lundyn Miller got her hoverboard for Christmas back in 2015.

"I use it to play around the house,” she said.

She says it was the popular gift that year.

Shortly after, her father, Dewitt Miller, said he started to see incidents coming out with hoverboards malfunctioning.

"As my daughter started to play with the hover board, then it was you can't plug it in for long periods of time and things like that, so it seems like more safety issues came up after she had the hover board,” Dewitt Miller said.

That’s why he says they set strict rules for Lundyn, which included making sure its charged for the right amount of time, among other rules.

The Miller family says one of the most important things to do when you get your hoverboard is to read the instruction manual that comes with it and also any warning labels listed on it.

"What's safe today may not be safe six months from now, but I think, as conscientious parents, you have to basically watch what your kids are using. Make sure you read all the reports on them and things that are out there and familiarize yourself with what will actually happen with the things that your kids have,” Dewitt Miller said.

Susquehanna Township Fire Chief George Drees says these incidents can be prevented.

"If you have friends, if you have loved ones that have drones or any of these devices please look at the warnings on them, look at how safe they are, look at when they should be charged and if you plug something in and it's not working right, unplug it,” Fire Chief George Drees says.

If there’s anything the grieving family members of Ashanti Hughes and Savannah Dominick want you to know, it's to throw it out.

"Get rid of them, throw them away. If you have one in your home, if your children have one, your grandchildren, throw them away and get rid of them. That's all we can say. There's over 500,000 of these things recalled it's obviously a problem. Get rid of them,” Chaka Crawford and Stephen Dominick said.

Trending