2 flown to hospital after explosion in Jefferson County
REYNOLDSVILLE – A Punxsutawney man and his 16-year-old daughter suffered burns when a gasoline-powered small engine that operated a washing machine exploded Monday morning in Jefferson County.
State Police Fire Marshal David Powell said the incident took place at an Amish residence on Buck Run Road in McCalmont Township around 9:30 a.m.
Officials said the girl was using a five-gallon gas can to refill the tank when it overflowed. The tank was ignited by the hot muffler, causing the gas to ignite.
Police said Eli Wengerd, 40, discovered the fire, and removed his daughter from the basement and extinguished the fire.
Wengerd and his daughter suffered burns and were flown by helicopter to UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh hospital for treatment.
Fire damage was minor and estimated at $1,000. A state fire marshal ruled the cause as accidental.